Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Imagineer"

"Imagineer"

       In today's Concept Development class, we have talked about "Imagineer," but what was in my mind immediately after I saw the word was "creativity." There are thousands of competitors working in the same field as we do as graphic design. The "contest" is unbelievably tough because whoever comes out with an "outstanding idea" will get the "award." The problem is that not so few designers were able to take the award. Especially, what Stefan was talking about on the TED show was the "time off" or "Sabbatical" for creativity to develop. 
       Importantly to recognize, people often are so busy about what they are routinely doing everyday and forget about their actual goals and intention. As a graphic designer, creatively thinking should be the routine work. I was not paying attention at all right after Professor Jimmy Moss started talking about the Reality vs. Creativity. I was thinking about how I am going to spend the time for the summer this year. Should I go back to China for the summer? like last time which I spent lots of money and had too much fun. Or, Should I go back to China to seek for freelance jobs. Obviously, I believe spending time on creativity is much valuable than being relax. Sabbatical provides opportunities for minds to develop creativities if the free time is properly being spent.
       Secondly, we had done the activity as we come out with slogan or phrase to change the meaning, moods, and emotion of an object shown as picture. That was fun. But, it also reminds me about the differences in design between China and America. I can often see some symbolic advertisement in American than in China. I remember there was the online video company named "Potato" just like Youtube. Its logo is always looking either is a real potato or much like a potato. I am just so obsessed about that because that is so boring! It's like I would never look at a banana as a banana but American Born Chinese. I would say that is a really great practice of training our mind to think creatively not literally.  

No comments:

Post a Comment