Visual Literacy
"Visual Literacy" was the keyword for today's Concept Development class. I interpret it as to visually describe and express something rather than verbal expression. First thing that came out of my mind right after I heard "Visual Literacy" was the Renaissance masterpieces.I learned some of the paintings in the art history classes; the meanings and stories of the paintings are almost like reading books but everything is compressed within a single frame of art. As what Professor Jimmy said in class, "one single picture contains 1000 words." I agreed with it not just about the visual literacy but also the importance of knowing it in the Concept Development class.Speaking of visual communication, I think a lot of people often do not recognize why some comic books can draw their attentions at the same time everything still makes sense. I think because every picture that was chosen is particularly framed in a way that all the needed information is contained, so it would make sense and keep its viewers continue to read. I look at today's comic practice as the way to practice how to condense information to tell a story that communicates with viewers. In the manner of graphic design, condensing important information is significant. For example, designing a logo for a company requires designer to create the logo as simple as possible but still contains lot of information about the company. Designer needs to come out with many concepts of the company in order to condense all of them into that simple logo. I think this is essential to become a successful graphic designer.
The comic style is called "Rage comic" created by anonymous artists. It's simple but dramatic.

No comments:
Post a Comment