We had a group discussion about designer of 2015, a list of expectations for future designers. One of the expectations is "Understanding of how systems behave and aspects that contribute to sustainable products, strategies and practices." I confused about the word "systems" at first as I was thinking about social system at large. Later, Jimmy helps to define the word "systems" as network, or spider's web. I think it means that designers have to learn to play under certain rules in a game, which refers as "systems."
Not only society is a social system, but also any group can be a system. In business, people learn how to survive without getting fired. In politics, people learn how to hide scandals. In design, designers observe the "systems" and resolve problems by using "designs." I think designers have to be able to foresee consequence of their designs by understanding how "systems" behave so that strategies can be applied. This should sound a bit abstract or overboard. For example, designers devoted into the 1st-generation iphone product came out with the main idea: "simplicity." If the entire market is a system that has problem, the designers resolved the problem by creating iPhone that shape the fate of future mobile devices. I would say that the newest Windows 8 system outruns the IOS system because designers were able to see how "systems" behave and what the mass expect. Regardless of market system, social system also plays major role in constraining designers' creativities. For example, China, one of the socialism country, would not allow designers to create something that highly promoting beliefs that are not "socialism." That means designers have to decide either to "obey" with the system or "change" the system.
No comments:
Post a Comment