Thursday, February 21, 2013

Presentation 2


The game concept presentation continued in the class today. The general mistakes that people made, including myself, are nervousness, unclear concept, and lack of knowledge about one's game. I complained about the necessity to use verbal communication to explain a visual communication on the previous post, but I do not really know if there is a single solution to solve all the problems. I'm sure there are some kinds of visual communications do not require verbal explanation at all; there might not be one solution to avoid verbal explanation for all types of visual communications. For this one, I would focus on verbal communication as necessity to achieve goals in terms of building up career as a graphic designer. 

We, are human being, can't absorb too much information with a limited time. If unlimited time is given to a speaker, we might not be able to hear most of the information simply because a speech is "too long." So, I believe that designers have  to have the ability to condense complexity to simplicity without losing the key information. 

To start a presentation, an attention getter is needed. For example, some TED talks that we watched in class are not as funny as others. Because the speakers do not start with something humorously, instead, they jump right into their main topics. If the topic is too abstract, audiences can easily get lost. 

Importantly to know, we, as students for now, do not usually worry about if we make certain mistakes in our presentation because we think that we are not "actually selling our games." If we really do have to present our games to real clients, I believe none of our games would be sold just because we do not take it seriously. 

I use my presentation as an example. Before the presentation, I put a lot of considerations during the developing process. I only spend few minutes to come out with the concept, then I spent a lot of time to discuss how the game should look like, how should it be played? and how different and similar compared to other card games with my friend who is a "game expert." He pointed out a lot of flawed methods in my game, calculated the chances of drawing certain cards from the pile, and the what is funny and what is not funny about the game. After that, I revised the game's details then started to creating specific rules. I would say that my game is about 75% percent completed. To fully complete the game, I have to make the game and test it. The point is that, I see a lot of people do not state their concept clearly. Concept is the first thing that client wants to hear. The second thing is the goal or purpose of this game, then we should start introduce how to play the game so that certain goals and desired effects can be achieved. I stated my concept but did not clearly states the key information of how to play. If I were to sell the game for real, I would fail for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment